Contact Me

Questions? Comments? Reach me at sue.veganeats@gmail.com

1/3/14

slow cooker seitan method

The slow cooker is my favorite method of cooking seitan.  I can go about my day and check on the slow cooker  from time to time, uses less energy and costs less on the energy bills.  Those of us who want to get away from aluminum foil wrapping can use soaked and rehydrated corn husks in the slow cooker to line the bottom and tops of placing these vegan meatballs.  You will need to wet the bottom of the cooker with water to keep moisture in or else the husks might burn.  Do not let the seitan touch the sides of the slow cooker, as they could also burn.


If you look real close, you can see the vegan meatballs under the first layer of husks.



It ended up taking around  2 1/2 - 3 hours on high for these seitan meatballs to cook thoroughly.  I had around 12 large meatballs, so 2 layers of corn husks.  I sprayed a tiny bit of water on the top layer of husks to keep moisture in.  Afterwards, I made a big pot of tomato sauce and placed all of the meatballs in the sauce and let simmer away.

I make all of my seitan in the slow cooker nowadays and wanted to share this easy method.

Blog Archive