Oven or food dehydrator
cookie / baking pan
parchment paper or foil
bowl for marinade
2 each , 15oz. firm or extra firm tofu
1/4 cup tamari (gluten free) sauce --or--soy sauce (contains gluten)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 heaping teaspoons smoked paprika
2 TBL olive oil
2 tsp anise seed
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
to taste, swirls of agave nectar (or liquid sweetener)
Method...Place all ingredients (except tofu) into blender and blend until the anise seeds are pulverized and mixture is bright red, taste to see if you like the sweet and heat level (it should taste like pepperoni)
- Take some moisture out of the tofu with a clean towel then slice the tofu into whatever shape you prefer and place in marinade, constantly basting, for about 1 hour
- Place on foil or parchment and slow bake in 200 degree oven or dehydrator.
- Flip every 50 minutes or so and they should be "dry" in about 3 hours (depending on the humidity level and the level of moisture in the tofu), could be 4 hours or a little more.
- You can save your marinade and use as a dip if you are using this for snacks --or--you can apply a thin pepperoni "sauce" to your pizza or calzone!
- If you use this marinade for the coconut bacon recipes that are all over the web,you would have coconut pepperoni!!